Ye XU, Ph.D.
School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation
37 Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
· Mechanics of materials: thin films, interfaces, adhesion, and disordered systems
· Soft matter physics and mechanics: colloids, hydrogels, polymers, etc.
· Soft nanocomposites
· Solid-liquid coupling in soft porous medium
· Microfluidics for biomedical applications
Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Ph.D., Engineering and Applied Science, 05/2012
M.Phil., Mechanical Engineering, 12/2009
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, 12/2007
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
M.S., Materials Science, 03/2006
B.S., Materials Science and Engineering with minor in Automation, 06/2003
Research and Professional Experience
Professor in the School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation
Beihang University, Beijing, China 2016 - present
Senior Researcher in Corporate Strategic Research
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering, Annandale, NJ, USA 2015 – 2017
Rhodia/LRSM Fellow in Yodh Soft Matter Lab, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA 2012 – 2015
Research Assistant in Soft Matter Lab
Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA 2008 - 2012
Research Intern in Materials Science and Processing Division
Unilever R&D, Trumbull, CT, USA 06-08/2010and 06-08/2009
Research Assistant in Smart Materials Lab, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA 2006-2008
Research Assistant in Advanced Coating and Surface Engineering Lab
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China 2003-2006
1. Y. Xu*, D. Ge, G. A. Calderon-Ortiz, A. L. Exarhos, C. Bretz, A. Alsayed, D. Kurz, J. M. Kikkawa, R. Dreyfus, S. Yang, and A. G. Yodh; Highly conductive and transparent coatings from flow-aligned silver nanowires with large electrical and optical anisotropy, Nanoscale (2020) in press
2. H. E. King, M. Sansone, J. H. Dunsmuir, N. M. Callen, P. Portunov, Y. Xu, A. S. Buono, B. Gao, and J. Kralik; NMR and X-ray Micro-Tomography Pore Scale Analysis of Oil Recovery in Mixed Porosity Carbonates, AAPG Bulletin, in press
3. J. Gu, L. Liu*, H. Miao, Y. Xu, Y. Xu*, J. Sun, X. Wang, and Z. He; Effect of C2H2/N2 partial pressure ratio on microstructure and mechanical properties of Ti-Al-Si-C-N coatings, Surface and Coatings Technology, in press (*corresponding author)
4. G. Li, J. Sun, Y. Xu*, Y. Xu, J. Gu, L. Wang, K. Huang, K. Liu, and L. Li*; Microstructure, Mechanical Properties, and Cutting Performance of TiAlSiN Multilayer Coatings Prepared by HiPIMS, Surface and Coatings Technology 353, 274-281 (2018) (*corresponding author)
5. H. E. King, M. Sansone, P. Kortunov, Y. Xu, N. M. Callen, S. Chhatre, H. Sahoo, and A. S. Buono; Microstructural Investigation of Stress-Dependent Permeability in Tight Oil Rocks, Petrophysics 59 (01), 35-43 (2018)
6. E. D. Cubuk, R. J. S. Ivancic, S. S. Schoenholz, D. J. Strickland, A. Basu, Z. S. Davidson, J. Fontaine, J. L. Hor, Y. R. Huang, Y. Jiang, N. Keim, K. D. Koshigan, J. Lefever, T. Liu, X. –G. Ma, D. J. Magagnosc, E. Morrow, C. P. Ortiz, J. M. Rieser, A. Shavit, T. Still, Y. Xu, Y. Zhang, K. N. Nordstrom, P. E. Arratia, R. W. Carpick, D. J. Durian, Z. Fakhraai, D. J. Jerolmack, D. Lee, J. Li, R. Riggleman, K. T. Turner, A. G. Yodh, D. S. Gianola, and A. J. Liu; Structure-property relationships from universal signatures of plasticity in disordered solids, Science 358(6366), 1033-1037 (2017)
7. Y. Xu, Q. Li, and H. E. King; Modeling oil recovery for mixed macro- and micro-pore carbonate grainstones, Scientific Reports 7(1), 9780 (2017)
8. Q. Ma, L. Li, Y. Xu*, J. Gu, L, Wang, Y. Xu; Effect of bias voltage on TiAlSiN nanocomposite coatings deposited by HiPIMS, Applied Surface Science 392, 826-833 (2017)
9. Q. Ma, L. Li, Y. Xu, X. Ma, Y. Xu, H. Liu; Effect of Ti content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of TiAlSiN nanocomposites coatings, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 59, 114-120 (2016)
10. L. Wu, C. Ortiz, Y. Xu, J. Willenbring, and D. Jerolmack; in situ liquid-cell observations of asbestos fiber diffusion in water, Environmental Science and Technology 49, 13340-13349 (2015)
11. D. M. Sussman, S. S. Schoenholz, Y. Xu, T. Still, A. G. Yodh, and A. J. Liu; Strain fluctuations and elastic moduli in disordered solids, Physical Review E: Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics 92, 022307 (2015)
12. R. Dreyfus, Y. Xu, T. Still, L. A. Hough, A. G. Yodh, and S. Torquato; Diagnosing Hyperuniformity in Two-dimentional Disordered Jammed-packings of Soft Spheres, Physical Review E: Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics 91, 012302 (2015)
13. R. W. Style, R. Boltyanskiy, G. K. German, C. Hyland, C. W. MacMinn, A. F. Mertz, L. A. Wilen, Y. Xu, and E. R. Dufresne; Using Traction Force Microscopy in Physics and Biology, Soft Matter 10, 4047-4055 (2014)
- review article
14. A. Basu, Y. Xu*, T. Still, P. E. Arratia, Z. Zhang, K. N. Nordstrom, J. P. Gollub, D. J. Durian, and A. G. Yodh; Rheology of Soft Colloids Near Rigidity Onset: Critical Scaling, Thermal, and Non-thermal Responses,Soft Matter 10, 3027-3035(2014).
* co-first-author and corresponding author
15. Y. Xu, G. K. German, A. F. Mertz, and E. R. Dufresne; Imaging Stress and Strain in the Fracture of Drying Colloidal Films, Soft Matter 9, 3735-3740 (2013).
- recommended as a “HOT paper” on Soft Matter Blog
16. G. K. German, W. C. Engl, E. Pashkovski, S. Banerjeee, Y. Xu, A. F. Mertz, C. Hyland, and E. R. Dufresne; Heterogeneous Drying Stresses in stratum corneum, Biophysical Journal 102, 2424-2432 (2012).
17. A. F. Mertz, S. Banerjee, Y. Che, G. K. German, Y. Xu, C. Hyland, M. C. Marchetti, V. Horsley, and E. R. Dufresne; Scaling of Traction Forces with Size of Cohesive Cell Colonies, Physical Review Letters 108, 198101 (2012).
- selected as Editor’s Suggestions
18. E. R. Jerison, Y. Xu, L. A. Wilen, and E. R. Dufresne; Deformation of an Elastic Substrate by a Three-Phase Contact Line, Physical Review Letters 106, 186103 (2011).
- selected as Editor’s Suggestions - featured in Physics Today
19. Y. Xu, W. C. Engl, E. R. Jerison, K. J. Wallenstein, C. Hyland, L. A. Wilen, and E. R. Dufresne; Imaging in-plane and normal stresses near an interface crack using traction force microscopy, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America 107, 14964-14967 (2010).
-featured in Yale Press Release, Physics Today, and Yale Scientific Magazine
20. Y. Xu, X. Huang, and A. G. Ramirez; Crystallization of Amorphous NiTiCu Thin Films.Journal of Alloys and Compounds 480, L13-L16 (2009).
21. Y. Xu, L. H. Li, X. Cai, and P. K. Chu; Hard Nanocomposite Ti-Si-N Films Prepared by DC Reactive Magnetron Sputtering Using Ti-Si Mosaic Target.Surface and Coating Technology 201, 6824-6827 (2007).
22. Y. Xu, L. H. Li, X. Cai, Q. Chen, and P. K. Chu; The Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Ti-Si-N Nanocomposite Coating Prepared by DC Magnetron Sputtering.Journal of Shanghai Jiao Tong University 41, 452-456 (2007). (in Chinese)
23. Y. Xu, X. Cai, Q. Chen, Y. Shen, and L. H. Li; Development of Superhard Ti-Si-N Nanocomposite Coating.New Technology & New Process (8), 5-8 (2006). (in Chinese)
24. S. Guo, L. H. Li, X. Cai, Q. Chen, Y. Xu, H. Weng, and M. Xu; The Compound Ion Implanter Control System Based on the PC-PLC. New Technology & New Process (11), 12-15 (2005). (in Chinese)
1. Imaging stress and deformation at soft interfaces: from drying colloidal coatings to resting water droplets, in seminar of School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation at Beihang University. 01/2015: Beijing, China
2. Imaging stress and strain in the fracture of drying colloidal films, in seminar of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Utah State University. 08/2014: Logan, UT, USA
3. Imaging stress and strain: mapping local mechanical behavior of soft materials via microscopy, in joint seminar of College of Engineering and Department Textile Science, Merchandising, Interiors at the University of Georgia. 05/2014: Athens, GA, USA
4. Imaging Stress and Strain in Colloidal Materials, in the seminar of Institute of Natural Science at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 01/2013: Shanghai, China
5. Imaging Interface Stresses in Cracking Colloidal Films, in Gordon-Kenan Research Seminar on Science of Adhesion. 07/2011: Lewiston, ME, USA
6. Imaging Strain Using Image Cross-correlation and Particle Tracking, in seminar of School of Materials Science and Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 06/2011: Shanghai, China
· Referee for Physical Review Letters, Reports on Progress in Physics, Soft Matter, Langmuir, Nanotechnology, Smart Materials and Structures, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Physica Scripta, Journal of Fluid and Structure, Measurement Science and Technology, Physical Review E, and Europhysics Letters
· Member of APS, ACS, MRS, and Society of Rheology
· Session Chair for APS March Meeting, 03/2014, Denvor, CO
· Organizing Committee for the 4th Gotham-Metro Condensed Matter Physics Meeting, 06-11/2010, New York, NY
· “1000 Program” Young Talent, 04/2015
· Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Student Abroad, 04/2012
· Graduate Student Conference Travel Grant, Yale University, 05/2011
· Shanghai Municipal Award for Outstanding Graduates (top 2%), 03/2006
· Excellent Senior Project Award (top 5%), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 06/2003